Featured Post

Losing Your First Love

Homemade Chicken Broth

Homemade Chicken Broth Today I made some chicken broth.
I started making my own chicken and veggie broth a long time ago; it saves money and I have control of the salt and other seasonings that go into our broth. I have not made beef broth as of this time.

My bowl of fresh chicken broth

I cooked 9 chicken thighs/leg quarters today in my stock pot; because of their size I could only cook 3 at a time, each time I added a little seasoning to the chicken and a little water to the pot.
At the end of the day I ended up with 7 1/4 cups of broth, 5 1/4 cups will be used this week! I used a little under half of the chicken for dinner tonight, and froze the rest of it after I shredded it.

7 1/4 cups of chicken broth; 3 bags of 2 cups each, 1 bag with 1 1/4 cups.

I started counting calories again a few days ago; I have gained a lot of weight the past few months and have got to get this off, I feel miserable, it's not even about looks to me, I want to be at a healthy weight; I don't want the health problems associated with being obese.
I use Fatsecret to count calories. I used it before and lost over 50 pounds in 11 months; actually it didn't take quiet 11 months; I know that sounds like a long time for that little bit of weight, but honestly, most of that time, I wasn't exercising, just counting calories - according to the app I can have 2200 calories a day and lose weight; my goal is 1500, no more than 1800; that is what I did last time. It's more about making the right food choices and making every calorie count.
I did good today, I stayed 636 calories under my recommended calorie intake. And two and a half hours after dinner, I still feel full.

Tonight we had chicken tacos for dinner.
We used the little taco boats instead of shells; we had low-fat refried beans and I made some homemade pico. Our son and I love pico and it is such a wonderful way to get those fresh veggies! The boats were super yummy. I ate two of them.

I put a LOT of pico on my boats, lol. I like the taste, and it's free!!

Last week I made veggie broth.
I keep a large freezer baggie in the freezer with veggie scraps in it. Actually I have two. When one gets full, I take about half the scraps out, cover them in water in my stock pot, and boil until I notice it needs more water, add more water, boil and turn it off to let it cool.

I got 10 cups of veggie broth last week!
I am adding a new part to this blog, From My Kitchen. I do have another blog called The Gregg Café, but all of my attention goes to this blog, so, as I have time, I am going to move my recipes over here to "From My Kitchen".
Well, I guess I've rambled long enough tonight, if you have a chance check out the new page, and check back often as I add to it, thanks so much for reading this and for visiting Is It Monday, Yet? God bless you!
Jenn




Other pages you might like ...
From My Kitchen  My Journal

6 comments:

  1. Making chicken, beef and vegetable broth is something I have always done. I also like to can some to always have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I had not thought about canning the broth, is there a special way to can it, how long is good after it's canned?
      Thanks for visiting Is It Monday, Yet?

      Delete
  2. I've never made a strict vegetable broth before, though I have made chicken and beef broths. They are so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made the beef broth, my husband has massive heart problems so we don't eat a lot of beef, but I love making chicken and veggie broth! Thanks so much for visiting Is It Monday, yet?!

      Delete
  3. A lovely looking broth I too have gained much weight but can't get going to lose it. I never weighed this much ever with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, maybe we can inspire each other to shed a few pounds!?

      Delete