The Privilege of Knowing God, part One

The Privilege of Knowing God This series is a collection of notes I have taken from "The Privilege of Knowing God" series by Charles Stanley, you can order your own copy of this wonderful message series by clicking here

The Privilege of Knowing God


Of all the people you’ve met in your life, who ranks at the top? The greatest privilege we have is the privilege of knowing God. It is an awesome opportunity available to everyone, everywhere to know THE living God. Knowing God is the greatest of all knowledge and until you know Him on a personal level, all the knowledge of the universe will not give you the peace knowing God will and certainly will not save your soul.
Philippians 3:7-11 - But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Paul was expressing his hunger to know God, through Christ. My desire is that I may know Him – One of today’s biggest tragedies is that many people will die without knowing God. Why do you think this is? 1. They live in darkness – many people don’t know that Jesus came into the world to save them and set them free. Many people don’t know there is a Bible that reveals God’s plan and His character. There are many places in the world where it is illegal for people to own a Bible and to be a witness for Christ.
2. Sadly, many people have no interest in knowing God. They are afraid they will have to give up something to know God, and they are right, to truly know Him and get close to Him they will have to give up their sinful life and lifestyles; but that doesn’t mean life becomes boring or meaningless; in fact, when you come to Christ and start growing in your relationship with God and getting to know Him, your life becomes full, full of His grace and mercy, His truth, and when you are in His will, and doing His will for your life, you won’t be bored!
We are in the information age, and people, including Christians, have allowed their minds to be filled with so much worldly information that no one really has that hunger or thirst to know the living God. 3. Few are willing to pay the price for knowing God. There is a vast difference between knowing about God and knowing Him personally, that goes beyond salvation. And yes, there is a price to pay, but it is well worth it! It is a glorious opportunity for us to get to know God.
Jeremiah 9:23-24 - Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.
God wants us to know Him. If someone asks you if you think you are worth knowing, most people will answer with no. However, there is something about everyone worth knowing, and God is defiantly worth knowing.
John 14:8-10 - Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Jesus was so intent in His disciples knowing Him that He shared His hurt, the enter-most being of His heart, His soul and His suffering, because He wanted them to know Him and God the Father wants us to know Him on a personal level. Do you have a desire to know God, or are you satisfied with just being saved?
Continue reading

here


Jenn